Thursday, May 01, 2008

Abuse is a serious thing

Sometimes when watching the news, reading the paper or hearing about things going on in friends’ lives, I pause. While many things tug at my heart I thought I’d pass on information about abusive relationships.

I am saddened to admit that there will be men and women that abuse their spouses/significant others and there will always be the victim that allows it.

Abuse does not have to be merely physical beatings or sexual in nature, emotional abuse is very real and damaging as well. Helpguide.org gives some information on abuse as well as lists of sorts that give warning signs. I found the following to be most interesting:

SIGNS OF AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP
Does your partner:
• act excessively jealous and possessive?
• control where you go or what you do?
• keep you from seeing your friends or family?
• limit your access to money, the phone, or the car?
• constantly check up on you?
This is just one section of many. I think sometimes we may just chock up this type of behavior to being a little jealous or controlling, but this constitutes abuse.

I don’t know if anyone reads my blog, but if you do, please take the info found on the helpguide site to heart. Take stock. Pass on the info to your friends (not just female friends either). We have this wonderful tool at our fingertips, let’s use it to educate ourselves and our friends/loved ones.

Visit http://www.helpguide.org/mental/domestic_violence_abuse_types_signs_causes_effects.htm
For more info.

Much love,
Susan

No comments: